August 14, 2018
We have officially made it to Episode 50! To honor this occasion, we would like to take the opportunity to spotlight all of the guests that we've featured since the beginning. In this episode, you'll hear short clips from each guest as they share insights, stories, and their expertise in the attractions industry.
If you have not had the opportunity yet to listen to our previous episodes, we recommend taking the time to go back through the first 49 episodes and listen to the full conversations with each of the guests that we've had on the show. All of the content that we create is designed to be evergeen - it doesn't matter if you listen to it the day it comes out or a year later; all of the topics are still applicable.
In this episode, we are thrilled to feauture snippets of conversations with the following AttractionPros guests:
- Scott Brown, Family Entertainment Group
- Ben Story, Avius
- Jennifer Berthiaume, Lion Country Safari
- Chris Gray, Skyline Attractions
- Amy Holloman, Eastern State Penitentiary
- Matt Eckert, Holiday World
- Eric Davis, Zoo Nation, Awesome Ocean, & Stand with SeaWorld
- Clint Novak, Central Park Funland
- Erik Beard, International Ride Training (formerly Wiggin & Dana)
- Terri Adams, Schlitterbahn
- Case Lawrence, CircusTrix
- Cindee Huddy, International Ride Training
- Tim O'Brien, Industry Journalist
- Lisa Shanley, Nassal ACM
- Richard Ray, Cedar Fair
- Bill Lupfer, Florida Attractions Association
- Nick Gray, Museum Hack
- Sherry Howell, CenterEdge Software
- Lars Kristensen, NiceJob
- Mark Rosenzweig, Ride Entertainment
- Ed Hodgdon, Funtown/Splashtown & NEAAPA
- Ken Whiting, Whitings Foods
- Nick Romeo, Double T Multimedia & Florida Attractions Association
- Laurie Squire, Imagine Exhibitions
- Barry Zelickson, Big Thrill Factory
- Kurt Allen, Mississippi Aquarium
August 6, 2018
A few "news" articles making the rounds recently inspired a discussion about what they mean to the typical park-goer (who may not understand the true meaning behind what is written).
The conversation also careened into the following areas:
- Favorite vantage point for a coaster picture
- The 2nd best pretzel Josh has ever had
- Viability of waivers (in our humble, non-legally binding opinion)
- Guests and their "safety brains"
July 31, 2018
A very special episode with Matt and Josh spanning many topics! What starts as an innocent question about riding carousels turns into a juggernaut of conversation! A few of the topics broached include:
- Running a Tilt-A-Whirl
- Longevity of employment (or, what inspired Josh to quit a job)
- Inspiring and clever communication
- Our industry's unfair advantage when it comes to creating a fun workplace
- Being appreciative of the work we GET to do
- Listener Challenge: How do you instill a sense of PRIDE in your teams?
July 24, 2018
In a very special MAILBAG episode, Matt and Josh unleash their thoughts on such subjects as employee retention, getting employees to provide consistent guest service, and creative opportunities to use poor weather to your advantage.
If you are wondering what word Matt and Josh DIDN'T use in the previous episode, this blog post will help.
July 17, 2018
In this episode, Josh and Matt not only discuss, but find lessons in, haircuts, car repair, an after-hours jazz event and more!
Specifically, how can you ensure that you are using technology to enhance the guest experience, while simultaneously ensuring that you are not using it as a crutch?
Additionally, how can you reach a demographic that generally makes up a smaller portion of your attraction's attendance by altering your guest experience?
For more information on the color-blind artist Matt mentioned on the show, Joshuia Yanni, check him out on instagram: @j_yanni
July 10, 2018
Kurt Allen is the Sr. Vice President/Chief Operating Officer at Mississippi Aquarium. He shares a wealth of knowledge about leadership, animal care and building successful teams. He also goes into detail about the revitalization efforts going on in Gulfport, MS! Sounds like a great place to visit!
Here is Kurt's "formula" for success that he discusses in this episode: Instinct = (Confidence + Integrity) x Experience
July 3, 2018
Barry Zelickson owns Big Thrill Factory in Minnesota, but this is not his first rodeo! He also owned and operated Spooky World, and outdoor, interactive haunt experience before the genre blew up! (Matt even remembers the advertising jingle!) Barry shares his views on getting educated about the industry, his 3 key elements for adding a new attraction, and why it's important to have a great relationship with your insurance carrier!
Big Thrill Factory
Email Barry: email@example.com
June 19, 2018
In this very special AttractionPros LIVE episode, we take over a breakout session at the Florida Attraction Association's Annual Conference and the audience members become our guests! We asked them for topics and questions near and dear to their hearts, and then used the collective wisdom in the room to explore solutions. It was a ton of fun!
This was recorded live, so you get to follow along with EXACTLY what happened on June 12, 2018 in the Acacia 1 breakout room at the Naples Grand Beach Resort.
Special thanks to Bill Lupfer of FAA for helping to make this happen, and to Mary Altman for her coordination of resources!
Also, Mark and Steve from FCAV provided the recording equipment and were instrumental in us getting the best possible recording! We couldn't have done this without their support!
June 12, 2018
This week, Laurie Squire talks us through some of the finer points of working with various facilities, the ups and downs of travelling exhibits and where to get the best chocolate treat in Chicago!
Learn more about Imagine Exhibitions here: https://www.imagineexhibitions.com/